Thursday, August 9, 2007

Working with Cats

Teresa Everett

is the senior keeper at the Center for Reproduction of Endangered Species (CRES) Cheetah Breeding Facility at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. She cares for and feeds the twenty-onecheetahs in the collection, assists in medical procedures, and helps collect data for research projects.

At what age did you choose your career?

I knew that I wanted to work with animals since I was five years old. I wanted to be either a veterinarian, a field biologist, or a big-cat keeper. In my second year of college I heard about CRES and decided that was where I wanted to be.

Was there a specific event or person associated with that decision?

Not really. No one else in my family has a deep interest in animals. For as long as I can remember I have loved animals and have wanted to work closely with them.

What has been the greatest experience of your career?

One year one of our cheetahs had to have a cesarean section. Her cubs were not breathing, and we had to give them mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. I worked on a little female named Mara who survived and has grown up to be one of my favorite cats. She allows me to sit with her and groom her, and it is very rewarding to see her with her own litters now.

What specialized skills do you need for the job?

A good base in animal behavior and zoology, and a strong "animal sense." Good observational skills and recording skills. Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions. A dedication to conservation.

What is the most frustrating part of your job?

Even though we are preserving and propagating endangered species such as cheetahs in zoos, the hope of ever reintroducing them into their former ranges are slim. Until we can be sure that the habitats of these species are safe and secure from further destruction, any reintroduction program will be futile.

Any advice for young people who are considering a career in zoology?

If you keep focused on your goal and you study hard, you can fulfill your dreams. Make the most of the resources you have -- the library, educational and animal shows on TV, local museums, schools. and zoos. If you can get access to a computer and the Internet, your learning opportunities are endless. The world needs you to study and to care about the earth; zoology is not the most lucrative of careers, but it is one of the most important. You are young, you are the future, and you can do it.

If you could be any cat, which would it be?

A Siberian tiger. I love their power, grace, and beauty. I wouldn't want to be one in modern times, however, because I would not want to live in constant fear of losing my life to a poacher or to habitat destruction.

No comments: